Thursday, April 22, 2010

HAIR!!!

When I was diagnosed with HER2 breast cancer, Roslyne my dearest friend, told me about Nelda Tairua, who was diagnosed with the same disease and would love to meet her. The following week I met this beautiful, gracious loving woman, who asked me all kinds of questions, so being new to the game I left this in Nelda's capable hands. She told me after the first cycle of chemotherapy, within a period of three weeks or longer your hair will fall out, bugger! Something I am looking forward too having a bald head, looks weird though. So I prepared for the inevitable, loosing my hair, armpits, pubic, legs, what is a woman to do, check my list of hairless wonders, anyway, I made my husband James trim my hair as bald as possible, so in his infinite wisdom he shaved my hair. After ten minutes of shaving my hair, I would tell JR to be kind to my head, it hurts and be gentle instead of hacking at my follicles in my head, he chose otherwise, butcher man. When JR finished my head, was completely bald, off to the shower to wash off the excess remaining hair on my head, feeling fabulous, preened myself for the obvious, bald head is different. JR hugged me passionately and made a lovely compliment I have a shapely head, whether my head is covered or bald, pretty face with high cheek bones and exotic too. A compliment that I have to get use to, so repeated compliments by JR rest assures me that I have a quality that other women would love to have. Along came the wig, I am having a hard time washing this synthetic wig, following instructions from the booklet attached I will eventually make an effort to wash the wig and dry this naturally on my new wig stand. Strange when you have are washing my bald hair, tiny follicles appear and keeps growing, bugger! Now six weeks later a patch of baldness, so men who are bald like my look and this is temporary, a circle around the crown, neat bald patch, so my dearest husband the baldness is fine, and with your hairless wonder bald head I still love you with and without hair is fine.
One of many favourite song is HAIR, here it goes.

She asks me why...I'm just a hairy guy.
I'm hairy noon and night, Hair that's a fright.
I'm hairy high and low,
Don't ask me why; don't know!
Its not for lack of bread.
Like the Grateful Dead; darling.
Gimme a head with hair, long beautiful hair
Shining, Gleaming, Steaming, flaxen, waxen
Give me down to there, hair
Shoulder length, longer (hair!)
Here baby, there mama, Everywhere daddy daddy.

CHORUS:
Hair! (hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair)
Flow it, Show it;
Long as God can grow it, My Hair!
Let it fly in the breeze and get caught in the trees
Give a home to the fleas in my hair
A home for fleas, a hive for bees
A nest for birds, there ain't no words
For the beauty, the splendour, the wonder of my

CHORUS:

I want it long, straight, curly, fuzzy
Snaggy, shaggy, ratty, matty.
Oily, greasy, fleecy, shining
Gleaming, steaming, flaxen, waxen
Knotted, polka-dotted; Twisted, beaded, braided
Powdered, flowered, and confettied
Bangle, tangled, spangled and spaghettied!
O-oh, Say can you see; my eyes if you can,
Then my hair's too short!
Down to here, down to there,
Down to where, down to there;
It stops by itself!
doo doo doo doo doot doot doo to doot
They'll be ga-ga at the go-go
When they see me in my toga
My toga made of blond, brilliantined, Biblical hair
My hair like Jesus wore it
Hallelujah I adore.
Hallelujah Mary loved her son
Why don't my Mother love me?
This is one of the many songs I sing, mainly way off key, and I will bellow this out as loud as can be, my neighbours tolerate this singing prowess who cannot SING!

Today I had an appointment with the Oncologist, Ruebin Broom at 11:00 am this morning, so he would check the previous cycle 2 and any other problems I had encountered. Previous diarrhoea for 4 days last week ago, no vomiting and fatigued over a period of 9 days, now I am feeling great. I am on the road to recovery, feeling well and eager to do my walking again. This assessment today follows onto cycle 3 on Monday 26th April, I will be having administering intravenously this toxic chemicals to kill the cancer cells, I have gotten used to the regime, the staff are efficient and professional so they are treating me with respect and talking all the time. Roslyne my dearest friend will be with me on Monday so we will leave at 6:15 am, picking up Beatrice the smoker who reeks of stinking smoke at her home in Glen Eden. Lovely Maori woman, gentle nature person, who loves to talk until her appointment that morning for Radiation. On Sunday I will be picked up at the house to walk with the group at Victoria Park and Daldy St in the city, looking forward to meeting up with the group from Achilles International New Zealand, for coffee and cake. The team named my challenge for the NYC Marathon is Vi's Marathon - Life's Journey 2011, another achievable goal I am focusing on! I believe goals are one of my many avenues to reach my peak performance to strive for excellence, believe in yourself, positive thoughts and HOPE & POSSIBILITY is on my agenda and so it is with my niece Nellie-Anne Rerekura, who is so determined to excel in her goals. Keep you all up to date on my progress as WELLNESS will keep me alive, active healthier than I have ever thought possible as we speak.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Violet,
    James is right, with or without wig you look awesome.
    I hope the effects of the 3rd round are starting to wear off now and your able to enjoy a little sunshine.
    Your halfway!
    Big hugs
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ruth for the lovely comment, you are right James is right most of the time! Fourth time around of cycle 4 next Tuesday, as time prevails chemotherapy has gotten easier. Thank goodness which these treatements are over and done with, life will become tolerable and more goals to achieve, such as the New York City marathon 2011 with my niece and her friend a school teacher! Enjoy class today with James as I am about to take a shower to play table tennis at 11:00 am.
    Ka kite ano Violet

    ReplyDelete